No SNEmul is not dead, it’s simply sleeping. I Hope I will have more time later to fix bugs and add improvements to the emulator, but it’s not really possible for the moment.
Due to a change in the MySql from my provider, Wordexpress was not working correctly since some months. I was hoping that the bug will get fix itself but it seems I needed to upgrade Wordexpres. Anyway it seems ok now…
The preview-alpha version of SNEmulDS 0.6 is now available for all the brave testers around the world!
The GUI artworks are not ready, so you have a “naked” and not very pretty GUI, but at least, you have the multi languages support!
You can check if your language is correct.
You can choose one of the language in the firmware or some language by editing the snemul.cfg :
# Language of GUI
# -1 -> Use firmware settings
# 0 -> Japanese (Katakana only)
# 1 -> English
# 2 -> French
# 3 -> German
# 4 -> Italian
# 5 -> Spanish
Non firmware languages:
# 106 -> Portuguese
# 107 -> Catalan
# 108 -> Polish
# 109 -> Dutch
# 110 -> Danish
Various External RAM packages can be used to improve large rom emulation, see snemul.cfg for more informations.
Scaling support has three modes :
- Full screen : nearly like snezzids
- Half scaling : “smart” scaling, only reduce half the backgrounds, and doesn’t squish sprites. It looks quite fine in games.
- No scaling : no scaling at all, classic SNEmulDS mode, still default
Here is the complete list of changes compated to 0.5 beta:
- New GUI using framebuffer for sub screen
- Better human interface, improved file selector (alphabetical sorted), buttons, check boxes, multi choose zones, etc.
- New GUI supports joypad (joypad is not supported when emulator is running however).
- Multi language support (more than 10 supported, including katakan japanese !)
- Memory pak support (Opera RAM, Slot 2 card reader, etc. using libram) with paging or with large ROM mapping
- Scaling with pseudo bi-linear filtering and sprites squishing : full screen scaling (like snezzids), half scaling (half scaled and without sprites squishing), and no scaling (classic snemulds mode) - Autiomatic SRAM saving when needed
- Some other bugfixes and improvements in GUI
The new version of SNEmulDS 0.6 comes closer… The new GUI is nearly finished and is being integrated to the main core. I’m waiting for artworks from my friend to complete the GUI design.
A new feature of the next release will be multi-language support. For the moment, the language setting is read from the DS firmware, and the charset used is ANSI Western occidental (Windows-1252) so the translation is limited to : English, French, German, Spanish, and Italiano. But in future, Japanese and other language will be included.
TRANSLATION PROCESS CLOSED!
TRANSLATION PROCESS CLOSED!
All language has been translated already ! Thanks to all who contributed!
Others languagues are welcomed to, but will be not included in next release. Don’t hurry to send new translations because i will not spend much time on translations now.
If you are interested in translating SNEmulDS, this is very simple.
Here are the current files containing the string ressources.
If you want to helop, You just have to translate strings, without changing anything else.
It has been a long time i didn’t give any news, so here it is, some news about my progress. I have finally succeeded to improve sound in SNEmulDS. One part has been to work on the sound core (new APU timers, removed speed hacks, put back memory in fast EWRAM) and the other part has been to add a set of emulation hacks that you will be able to play with, thanks to the configuration file.
The way the sound is implemented in SNES emulators for DS bring some synchronisation problems that make sound garbled or make games not boot at all. I found some ways to improve synchronization, but each game need to be tunned differently. For the moment, i have found a way to have good sound with classic Square and Enix games : Chrono Trigger, Secret Of Mana 1, Final Fantasy VI (FFIII in USA/Europe) Terranigma, Illusion Of Gaia. I will let you find the best configuration for other games that have sound problems.
With the upcoming 0.5 alpha 2, a few games will be playable through the sylus. For the moment, this is limited to games supporting SNES mouse.
*Really* Playable games for the moment:
Eye of the beholder
Look at those videos, i made them myself! Sorry about the bad quality, my camera didn’t focus well and i’m a bit nervous.
Also, games are not fun to play with only one hand, but with two hands that’s really fun